Since 1969, OCR has been local and physician-owned with strong ties to the community. With talented, hardworking, and friendly staff, we work toward the common goal of serving residents of CO, WY, and NE with specialty-focused care. We are experiencing tremendous growth and are adding talented people in all of our locations!
The Appointment Scheduler answers telephones and makes appointments for patients, maintains accurate and orderly schedules for clinic physicians, attends training seminars to learn computerized appointment scheduling, and maintains proficient computer skills per established workflows and standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the education and experience identified below and be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily, either with or without a reasonable accommodation. The below is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job and is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and processes a high volume of incoming calls for appointments. Schedules appointments for OCR physicians in accordance with the physician and/or department requirements, coordinating with other departments as necessary. Transfers calls appropriately if needed, in a multi-extension system.
- Instructs patients to bring with them appropriate paperwork (insurance cards, x-rays, disability paperwork, etc.) per protocol.
- Answers patient’s questions concerning appointments.
- Cancels/reschedules appointments according to physician schedule changes; notifies appropriate clinic personnel.
- Notifies and coordinates with appropriate Medical Assistant any changes (additions/cancelations) for same-day/next day patient appointments and for emergent patient requests.
- Follows protocol for all patient appointment types (i.e. referrals, work comp, third party liability, auto accident, cash, etc); is familiar with insurance procedures per protocol.
- Builds and edits appointment templates for assigned physicians.
- Communicates with appropriate department personnel for authorization of patient appointments.
- Coordinates translation/interpreter need for patient appointments.
- Covers the closing schedule when assigned.
- Contacts the front desk to get authorization tickets from patient call-ins.
- Removes and documents no shows and cancelled patient appointments from schedule.
- Calls patients to set up injection appointments and documents receipt of authorized injectables whether OCR supplied, pharmacy delivered, or patient brings in.
- Completes Worker’s Compensation Work Status sheet, schedules appointment, and distributes appropriate copies per protocol.
- Assists Medical Assistants during absences by taking phone messages and transferring calls to appropriate department personnel.
- Assists Medical Assistants in retrieving phone messages, notifying patient on schedule changes, rescheduling patients per request, tracking appointment times for pre-op notes, mailing/faxing and making copies, puts charts/EKGs/visit tickets in order for daily activities, and other clerical duties when available.
- Assists Medical Assistants with giving appropriate paperwork to patient and distribution to patient’s file.
- Looks up and documents patient appointment dates for assigned Medical Assistant in computer system.
- Follows protocol and/or protocol changes outlined in departmental meetings.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent is required.
- One year of previous medical appointment scheduling preferred. Familiarity with scheduling software Centricity, a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, orthopedic specialty a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type accurate patient information.
- Knowledge of proper phone etiquette and customer service concepts and techniques.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Oral and Written Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information; ability to communicate with clients or customers.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Confidentiality – Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy. Adheres to HIPAA guidelines.
Independence of Action
Work is closely monitored by supervisor/manager; detailed instructions and procedures are generally provided.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
(The phrases “occasionally”, “regularly”, and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “occasionally” means up to one-third of working time, “regularly” means between half and two-thirds of working time, and “frequently” means two-thirds and more of working time.)
- The work environment is the typical office environment. The employee must be able to complete their work satisfactorily in an environment where there are significant distractions, including staff, patients, and vendors walking through and conversing, telephones ringing, conversations carrying over, loud noises, and interruptions to answer questions from others.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls up to 8 hours per day. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and should do so in a sound and safe manner. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Medical, Dental, Vision coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement savings and profit sharing plan participation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Continuing Medical Education (depending on position)
- Paid Time Off
*Benefit eligibility is dependent on employment status, and a waiting period may apply.
Orthopaedic & Spine Center of the Rockies (OCR) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. OCR is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual experience and qualifications, without regard to a person’s race, color, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, other protected veteran, or Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other protected status.
September 22, 2023
$16.00 - $23.00/hour, commensurate with experience